Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Organizing

Okay, so organizing is one of my favorite things to read about online.  This is kind of funny, because I think I'm really disorganized.  Maybe I can blame my lack of focus on the nonsense that goes on around me...

In the last two minutes... The teenager came in to see if she can have a friend over this weekend...The boy zipped away from the computer shouting, "Ooh, ooh, ooh!" on his way to the bathroom.  One kid is taking too long of a shower (I'm holding off on yelling up the stairs), and the other brought a scooter in the door, mad at it for apparently throwing her off of it, and went back outside.  Moon (our giant "blue" dog) was sneaking across the room trying not to get noticed for following the cat, who strutted across the room like he owned the place, teasing the dog.  Where was I?  :)  Exactly my point.

I read a post on facebook stating that you don't need a bunch of products from an organizing store to get organized.  This is what I've been trying to tell myself for a while.  I guess in my distaste for cleaning and organizing, I've tried to make it more tolerable by matching it with unnecessary shopping.  For example, my bathroom closet must be a mess because those cute wicker boxes at Target are so expensive, and if only I bought a bunch of them, I could stuff all the crap into cute boxes and my closet would be perfectly organized.  Uh, yeah. I know in the back of my little obsessive compulsive head that I don't need more "stuff" to organize my "stuff".  My problem is the STUFF.  :)  So... the new commitment is to figure out ways to clean, clear, and organize, given the stuff that I already have (and getting rid of much of the stuff I have).  And then, when my home reaches that glorious state of perfection that lies just around the corner (please insert funny "I know I'm full of crap" face here), I can justify dropping some money on something that will really make my house more of a home and serve some real purpose.

If anyone has ideas related to simplifying and getting rid of things, please share!  :)

6 comments:

  1. Girl, I wish I could achieve that "glorious state of perfection" too. Alas organization and maintenance of said organization is a never-ending process but it makes a difference when the husband and kids are involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring up a couple of really good points. It's funny how we, as human being, can justify anything. My house is not clean because. I did not do "x" becauses "y" is in the way. I find myself doing this often. I can justify anything I do or do not do, if I try hard enough.

    Honestly, in my case, it has come down to "just do it. No excuses, just do it." I find myself telling me this all the time. It has helped some, but there are thousands of things that need doing by me that I can justify putting off.

    Keep at it. I think realizing where you are and what is getting in your way is a huge step in the right direction towards "perfection". :)

    Good luck. I am enjoying the read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, I totally agree. "Do it now" has been saving me...from stress and procrastination and perfection. I am learning that it's those little things I put off that create lots of stress. Goal: figure out what's important, do it (without getting sidetracked with all the urgent but less important stuff), and be satisfied. Easier said than done! :) Thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend Gina was unable to post her comment, so here goes...

    "One of my friends (who's married and has three small children) has committed to using Lent as a time to get organized. Her "40 days, 40 bags" allows her to get rid of stuff that make clutter, and to get organized by focusing on one area a day. A little bit goes a long way! There's some book and/or article that she read that gave her the idea, but I don't recall the author or the book. Her quote follows: "This year I'm going through my house to find 40 bags of stuff to get rid of - 1 for each day of Lent. I'm hoping to make "a place for everything, and everything in its place." She has posted photos of her journey, and they look amazing! Just an idea to pass along, even though we are just about halfway to Easter." :)

    -Gina

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been trying to de-clutter, organize, and in general simplify for the last for days....my house is worse off than when I started and I bought a printer/copier/scanner and a shredder oh and a desk organizer kit.... I am not a stellar role model obviously

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL. I understand! I have some boxes packed up for Salvation Army and a couple of bags ready for some drop-off bins in the area. I know that I am making progress in the midst of the mess I am creating. I wondered what you were shredding! I'm not looking for stellar role models. It also helps to commiserate. :)

    ReplyDelete